Instituto Nacional de Rehabilitación—Ciudad de Mexico, Mexico
This is a comprehensive spine center. We attend all aspects of spine surgery, degenerative spine and deformity are our main areas of expertise but we also attend trauma, pediatric deformity and tumoral pathologies. The fellow will have the opportunity to see the full range of spine surgical pathologies.
All the elective surgical cases are reviewed at the weekly spine surgery clinic session. In this session we also review the postoperative cases of the week in order to see "what could be done better". The spine surgery fellow presents all postsurgical cases and an article related to the case is presented.
We have four surgical days in every day we try to do 2 surgical procedures and 2 pain management procedures.
Our spine surgery service organization is: 1 Head of spine surgery service and 3 associate professors of the service. 5 specialists in rehabilitation medicine. 1 manager of research and 3 administrative staff.
We do research in all type of pathologies and try that every surgical case is associated to a research protocol. We take into account all to work done during research to decide the order of the author on the manuscript publication.
With us the fellow is encouraged to attend conferences and local meetings as the following: AO Spine International, Scoliosis Research Society, North American Spine Society, Asociación Mexicana de Cirujanos de Columna AMCICO. Industry meetings and workshops (Depuy Synthes and Medtronic).
Most frequent pathologies
Trauma 7%; Degenerative 36%; Chronic Pain 45%
Estimated number of procedures:
Cervical deformity - 1 per month
Cervical trauma - 1 per month
Cervical tumor - 1 per month
Rheumatoid cervical spine - 1 per month
Chronic pain - 25 per month
Degenerative cervical spine - 10 per month
Degenerative lumbar spine - 10 per month
Thoracic & lumbar trauma - 3 per month
Thoracic, lumbar and sacral tumor - 4 per year
Thoracolumbar deformity - 2 per month
Facet and Periradicular blocks for chronic pain - 15 per month
Vacancy per year:
Short-term: 3 per period/year
- To train the orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon in the whole management of the spine pathology.
- To develop the necessary skills for prevention, diagnosis and treatment in degenerative, deformity and trauma spinal patients.
- To acquire skills in the field of research, acquiring clinical data and manuscript preparations.
- To develop knowledge and skills on different aspects of medical – patients relationship, professional practice and ethical behavior.
- Fellows normally have one surgical, one facet blocks and two clinical days peer week
- Daily spine surgery service round
- Weekly spinal unit meeting where we review: treated cases revision, lectures, and review of complex preoperative cases.
- Weekly orthopedic session. Orthopedic services form the Insituto Nacional de Rehabilitacion present their research and clinical cases.
- Attendance to the office two times a week review preoperative and postoperative cases evolution.
- Programmed surgery 1 scrub in day, AO spine fellow can assist the surgeon – in charge.
- The fellow must prepare at least two revision monographs during his fellow
- The fellow will participate in the clinical research of the spine unit
Full – time regime Monday to Friday from 07:00 am to 19:00 pm Saturday from 09:00 am to 12:00 pm.