AO Spine Research Commission chairperson to be elected—call for applications
On behalf of the AO Spine International Board (AOSIB) and the AO Spine Research Commission (AOSRC), we are pleased to announce the call for applications for the election of the new AO Spine Research Commission Chairperson.
30 March 2020
The term of the current AO Spine Research Commission Chairperson Dino Samartzis (US) will end on June 30, 2021. Based on the AOSRC Terms of Reference, the term of the new chairperson will be as follows:
- July 1, 2020–June 30, 2021: one (1) year term as AOSRC chairperson-elect
- July 1, 2021*–June 30, 2024: three (3) years term as AOSRC chairperson
- July 1, 2024–June 30, 2025: one (1) year term as AOSRC past chairperson
*The change of office of the chairperson always takes place after the meeting of the Trustees. The administrative cutoff is end of June.
In order to be considered for nomination by the AO Spine Nomination Committee (NomCom), candidates must be paying AO Spine members, and fulfill the following criteria:
- Current or past member of any AO Spine Commission (Research, Education, Community Development);
- Current or past member of any AO Spine Knowledge Forum Steering Committee (Trauma, Tumor, Deformity, Spinal Cord Injury, Degenerative);
- Past member of AOSIB two years after they last served on the board;
- Member Representative after end of term.
In addition, candidates must fulfill the requirements specified in the referenced job description. A same function can only be held once by the same person.
All interested and qualified candidates must submit the AO CV, AO Disclosure form, and a letter of motivation by e-mail to AO Spine International Executive Director Jayr Bass, by midnight (Zurich time), 19 April, 2020. The NomCom will review all applications and approve the eligible candidates.
The voting mechanism is based on the Terms of Reference of the AO Spine International Board. The electorate comprises of all current AO Spine International Board and AO Spine Regional Board members with voting rights and AO Spine Knowledge Forum Chairs. Each voting member has one (1) vote.
The election will run from April 27 to May 11, 2020. The election process is carried out according to the simple majority:
- A minimum of 80% of the electorate have to vote
- The winner holds a simple majority of all casted votes.
- If no candidate reaches the simple majority in the first round a second round with the top two candidates will run.
The NomCom will then ratify the election process, inform the candidates of the preliminary election outcome, and pass the result to the AO Spine International Board for final confirmation. The result will then be announced on the AO Spine website and AO Spine Newsletter.