AO Spine Middle East and Northern Africa Research Grant Award—Call for Applications
01 February 2019
AO Spine Middle East and Northern Africa (AOSMENA) established research funding that is available to investigators who have a desire to perform high-quality, clinically relevant spinal or spinal cord research in basic or clinical science. The purpose of these grants is to encourage new investigators by providing start-up funding of up to 10,000.00 Swiss Francs for one year. Consideration is given to two-year applications, however, the 2nd year of the grant will require a separate application and peer review.
Deadline for application
The deadline for application submission is December 31, 2018. Award winners will be announced in February 2019.
All applications should be e-mailed to:
- The primary applicant must be an active member of AOSMENA.
- The applicant must be a physician, surgeon, or scientist with focused interest in disorders of the spine/spinal cord and with an appointment at a university or hospital-based research institution.
- The applicant must not have received this grant in the preceding year.
- Location: research must be done within the AOSMENA area.
- Cost-sharing of projects can only be allowed with local hospitals or societies but not with industry sponsors.
- The grant application requires evidence that the investigator has the experience and resources to complete the proposed research.
- AOSMENA must be cited as the source of funding in any publication, presentation or in any publicity resulting from the award or its results.
- The number and amount of research grants awarded each year are at the discretion of AOSMENA.
- Application deadline is on December 31, 2018.
- Completed applications should be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All correspondence will be sent to the Primary Investigator. It is the responsibility of the Primary investigator to provide information to co-investigators.
- Funds are for work to be performed, not works in progress or already completed.
- Multiple grants are not to be funded simultaneously for the same applicant in the same year.
- Indirect costs shall not exceed 5% of the overall budget.
- If a grant application is deemed worthy by the board, a grant receiver may receive grants for 2 years in a row, as long as this decision is made in advance.
- If no grant application is deemed worthy by the board, the board can withhold grant application for one year and re-assess.
- Topic must be spine related – both basic science and clinical trials are accepted.
- All projects are required to be completed in 1 year.
- Projected budget to be presented with grant application.
- Detailed budget must be presented at completion.
- Completed projects must be of a quality ready for podium presentation in the GSC or publication in leading ISI journals.
- A Progress Report, regarding the research project, must be submitted to AOSMENA 6 (six) months after the work commences. A Final Report must be submitted at the end of the 12-month period and should include a description of the grant’s accomplishments and an accounting for the funds received under the grant.
- If the work cannot be completed within the 12-month time frame, AOSMENA must be notified and a written request to extend the grant must be submitted to AOSMENA board for approval to extend the grant.
- When the reports above or other information (including the failure to submit reports) indicate any part of a grant is not being used for its intended purpose, AOSMENA has a duty to investigate. During such investigation, AOSMENA shall withhold further funding.
- AOSMENA reserves the right to discontinue the grant, with return of full funding by the grantee, if for any reason, it is determined that the activities for which the grant is intended to address cannot be met.
- Each award will be in the amount of 10,000.00 Swiss Francs.
- Funds will be distributed in the following manner:
- 5000 Swiss Francs – distributed at the beginning of the 1-year award cycley
- 5000 Swiss Francs – distributed at 6-month interval. Subject to the other requirements of these General Guidelines, funds will not be distributed until the 6-month Progress Report (and other Progress Reports as deemed required) has been filed with AOSMENA.
Applicant must present the following documents:
- Application form: filled and signed
- Letter of intent by primary investigator to AOSMENA.
- CVs of primary, and co-investigators.
- Projected budget.
- All grant applications are reviewed by the AOSMENA Board.
- Applications are rated on their scientific merit and include the following criteria:
- Significance: Does it address the significance topic?
- Approach: Are the aims of the project clear and reasonable in the context of the project?
- Feasibility: Can the investigators deliver a result?
·All persons submitting applications do so with the understanding that they will abide by the conditions, deadline policies and decisions of AOSMENA Board.
Retention of Records
AOSMENA shall retain all records pertaining to all grants to institutions to include:
- Grant applications
- Names of Reviewers
- Scoring Sheets by Reviewers
- Progress Reports
- Distribution of funds
Grant Application form
Click on the link below to complete the Grant Application form